Thursday, July 10, 2014

Summer Makeup Essentials FT. *NYX - My Favorite!



Hello, friends! Sorry it took me a while to update. I've been taking advantage of summer by going on vacation with my family and my birthday was on Monday so I've been limiting my internet time but I'm back now! :)


With each season, we make necessary changes in order to adapt to the time of year. More clothes during winter, less clothes during summer - you get the idea. Makeup is no exception for me. I like less coverage during the summer months. I get a natural tan, my pores can breathe and I don't have to worry about my face melting off when I sweat. In this post, I'll show you my summer makeup essentials. And if you like a little more coverage, I have options for you too ;) *Disclaimer* I am not paid by NYX nor did they send me these products. I bought all of these items with my own money, NYX is simply my favorite brand.


Prime/Prepping the skin: SPF is so important during the summer especially if you're vacationing. If you know you're going to be outdoors, make sure your skin is covered in sunscreen and depending on the amount of SPF, take the bottle with you if you know you'll be out for a while. I haven't had the chance to pick up any but I recommend Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch. It has a wide variety and comes in different forms, all water-resistant and light weight. 
Moisturizer is also key no matter what your skin type, yes, even if you're oily. You might think that because you're already oily, or become more oily during the summer, or because you sweat more during the summer, that you don't need a moisturizer but that is a complete myth. Those factors do not make your skin moisturized. Oily =/= Moisturized. There are moisturizers out there for all skin types. One that I've started using recently is the Olay Complete All Day, which does have SPF 15. This is a product that my mother has used for years, since she was 18 so it's one that I trust.
While you're moisturizing your face, don't forget the lips! Summer time is when makeup companies bring out colorful, fruity chapsticks. Try some out and find one that lasts you more than 20 minutes. My favorite chapsticks are the Maybelline Baby Lips. These last me a good 3 hours on a regular day. I do notice my lips don't crack or peel when I use this vs. not using any chapstick at all. Oh, and they smell amazing.
Primer. This is optional but my reasons for using a primer during the summer are 1. It creates a barrier between your skin and foundation. It lays on top of your moisturizer and pushes/locks the moisturizer into your pores while making a smooth texture for your makeup to apply. Whereas if you hadn't used it, your foundation would slip and slide on top of any moisturizers or sunscreen.
2. It makes your makeup last longer. If you do prefer full coverage, this will keep your foundation from sliding off. If your prefer light/sheer coverage, those foundations don't tend to last very long. They begin to fade and slide off easily so this will also make those last all day.
3. If you prefer light coverage, you can use this as a base alone and it will fill in pores/fine lines/wrinkles, blur/soften imperfections, and smooth an uneven skin texture.
I, personally, use a primer all the time now. The one I prefer is Baby Skin by Maybelline which is a dupe for the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in my opinion. 


Foundation/Base: During the summer months I opt for a BB Cream, CC Cream or Tinted Moisturizer. Anything light. Lately I've been reaching for two different foundations, one high end and one drugstore. 
My favorite highend foundation is the BareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 in the shade Bare Ivory 04. This is probably the lightest coverage foundation I've ever used. Lighter than a BB/CC Cream or Tinted Moisturizer. So light that I no longer apply it with a brush. I prefer a damp Beauty Blender. Even though it may give the look of full coverage it feels like I just applied a light oil to my face. For the lightest effect, this product can be used with a brush or your fingers. 
As for my favorite drugstore foundation, I've been loving the NYX BB Cream in the shade Natural. It only comes in three shades but I assume these shades can adjust to your skin tone since it comes in a small range of colors. I was impressed by this product. Most BB Creams don't last very long but this one lasts me all day and has a natural finish.
For a fuller coverage, long lasting foundation, I prefer any foundation by Rimmel. Honestly, when it comes to foundations, this brand has exceeded my expectations. My favorite is Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation in shade 100 Ivory. This foundation lasts through sweat, heat, humidity, etc. If you're going to be out all day and you love full coverage, this will be your bestfriend this summer. 

Cheeks/Highlight/Bronzer: Summer is the perfect time to use cream products and sport a bronzy glow. The reason why I like cream blushes, highlighters and bronzers during the summer is because most of them are water resistant (not to be confused with water proof) and sweat resistant. And you can always set them with powder.
Lately I've been using the NYX Stick Blushes in Pink Lotus and Tulip. These blushes are super thick, I would not recommend applying it straight from the tube to your face for a few reasons... First it's unsanitary, especially if your skin is sensitive and prone to break outs. Second, it's so thick that if you're wearing a foundation or primer underneath, it will move and drag your makeup around. With clean hands I use two fingers and rub/warm up the product until it gets creamy and then dab it on my cheeks until it looks even. You can also go over it with a brush to even it out more.
And if you're not into cream products or you want to set them, an excellent powder blush for the summer is the NYX Powder Blush in either Rose Garden or Summer Peach. 
Those blushes (both cream and powder) have flecks of gold shimmer so when I use those, I don't use a shimmer highlight my cheek bones. If you opt for a matte blush or don't use a blush at all, a powder highlight that resembles those NYX Blushes is the NYX Illuminator in shade 01 Narcissistic. A matte cream highlight that I like to use (and is awesome to contour with also!) is the BH Cosmetics 10 Color Concealer Palette. This is best used with your fingers or a paddle brush.
For bronzer, choosing a matte or shimmer is your choice. Just remember not to overdose with shimmer products. You don't want to leave the house looking oily or like a disco ball! It's all about balance. Personally, I hardly bronze my face. It's all a matter of preference. I choose to only contour on myself, nothing more. Bronzers that I would recommend to a client are, again, the BH Cosmetics 10 Color Concealer Palette. I like to mix shades to find the perfect color that compliments the skin. Another option is the Sonia Kashuk Creme Bronzer which you can find at Target.

Eyes: Using waterproof mascaras and eyeliners are for the best during the summer if you're going to be out all day in the sun. It's super hot outside but your liner won't melt or smudge and your mascara won't smear. This is what I would recommend but just as everything else, it's all according to your personal preference. I would also suggest against using cream/gel liner or pencil liner, as it smears a lot easier.
My favorite eyeliner as of lately has been the L'Oreal Infallible Super Slim Liquid Liner and an exact dupe for this down to the packaging is the Milani Eye Tech Extreme. Between the two, I prefer L'Oreal just because I noticed it lasted 3 more weeks than the Milani Liner but other than that I wouldn't notice a difference between the two. These liners last all day long and don't smear.


As for mascara, I use not one but three different mascaras. Covergirl Flamed Out Mascara, L'Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga, and L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara. These three mascaras, both individually and all together, create a "spider lash" effect (as seen on the left <<<)
For eyeshadow, I've been using the Natural Palette by NYX. This range of colors are perfect for summer and there is a variety of textures from matte to velvet to sparkle. The only complaint I have with this product is that the colors often look a lot less pigmented on the skin than in the palette. Even with the use of a highend primer such as the Urban Decay Primer Potion, the colors can still look washed out some times. My advice would be to use this with white eyeshadow base such as the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk or their very own NYX Eyeshadow Base in White so that the shadows show up true to color and pigmented.
Lips: Over chapstick, I like to layer a NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick and NYX Xtreme Lip Cream. The round lipsticks have a wide variety of colors but for me, this summer has been all about natural/neutral colors (if you couldn't already tell) so I stuck to the color Circle which is a beige shade. Over top I use the lip cream in Natural which has more of an orange tone. Neither of these products will dry out your lips and give them a nice shine.

In the bottom photo you can see my "summer everyday go-to" look using these products. It's ironic pairing neutral and natural colors with a dramatic wing, don't ya think? But that's me! Haha. I don't think I could ever give up the wings...

Those are my makeup essentials this summer. Try some out and let me know what you think about them! Or tell me what your own makeup essentials are and I'll try those out! Leave any questions/comments or suggestions for what you'd to see next below or send me an email at lyndsixo@gmail.com. For all other business inquiries contact me at lyndsikay234@yahoo.com. I hope you all are having fun in the sun and safely enjoying the warm (sometimes scorching hot) weather outside! Until next time, take care and I'll talk to you soon! xo
   




No comments:

Post a Comment